Skip to main content

Featured

The World Cup with Moroccan Eyes

Now that the world cup has ended with France as winner, it’s time to watch how Moroccans reacted to its events from what I’ve seen on the streets and what I heard from people and what was trending on social media. Everything started after the referee whistle at the end of the game of Morocco against Côte d’Ivoire in Abidjan declaring that Morocco is one of the 5 nations representing Africa in the World Cup. A draw would have been enough for the Moroccan national team, but they players went to Côte d’Ivoire with one goal in mind: win the game and prove that they deserve their ticket to Russia. Just after the game the streets in all Moroccan cities were filled with people celebration this win by chanting songs. Morocco didn’t sleep that night. Moroccan people waited for this achievement for 20 years since Morocco didn’t put a foot in the World Cup since 1998 in France. It was even more special for me and my generation since I was born in 1999 and never seen such accompl

Why "MILLION DOLLAR BABY" Is The Best Motivation Movie Ever Made?

MILLION DOLLAR BABYIt has been a while I didn’t post any thing on my blog. That is due to some few busy weeks. Although I am surprised because the number of views didn’t drop that much.

Anyway, here I am back, and I thought I should so something new that I’ve never done in this blog and write a movie review. I always wanted to do this to diversify my content and I finally got to do it so let’s begin.

I was thinking about what movie should I write about. Should I go for a new movie or go to older movies? Finally, I chose one of the films I really enjoyed watching even after watching it several times. And as you read in the title it is the great movie “MILLION DOLLAR BABY” by Clint Eastwood who also played in the same move the role of Frankie Dunn, a boxing coach. The role that made him one of the nominees for the Academy Award best actor which wet that year for Jamie Foxx. But Clint has nothing to complain about since he won the best director award.
The movie was so good it was nominated for 7 Academy Awards which it won 3 of them. Best actress for Hilary Swank, best supporting actor for the one and the only Morgan Freeman, the best picture and as I said previously the best director Clint Eastwood.

What I liked the most about the movie was the story. Though most people find the story very dark especially at the end of the movie. I think that this is just a narrow way the see the movie and judge it for that part. Instead I chose to look at the full half of the cup. The story really got me, for me the story is very rich, even though the film is more focused about Maggie Fitzgerald, the character played by Hilary Swank, each one of the other characters’ back story is worth a movie on its own. So, let’s break it down and talk about each character alone.

Morgan FreemanMaggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank): a girl raised in poverty and very affected by the death of her father. She worked as a waitress in a little restaurant and saved up some money so she can pay for the membership in the boxing gym and by some equipment to start exercising.
Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood): a boxing coach who seem to be very though, but he is unstable emotionally because of the relation with his daughter who he didn’t see for years, and recently he was hit by the fact that one of the best talents who he trained left him.
Eddie Dupris (Morgan Freeman): the narrator of the film, a former boxer who lost his eye on the ring. His the one who pushed Frankie to accept to coach Maggie because he refused to coach girls.
Danger Barch (Jay Baruchel): I just love this character. His the kind of person how doesn’t care about the rest of the world and just focuses on his self.                                                                                                                                                            Shawrelle Berry (Anthony Mackie): the bully.

MILLION DOLLAR BABY
The movie is about giving hope to people who never had it like Maggie and Danger. This hope is given by people who know how having no hope or not having a shot feels like. That is pretty obvious when Frankie didn’t want for one of the best he ever trained to play for the championship, here is where Eddie reminds him that the most important thing is having a shot.
One the other hand, Maggie believed from all her heart from the beginning that she is not meant to stay waitress for the rest of her life and that the only way to do that is to be willing to but whatever it takes to turn that dream to reality. And she knew also that in other to achieve the greatness she had to surround herself with great people. I think that the point from this movie is that to be dead in a young age when you’ve become a legend is way better than having a long life with no dreams, no hope, no achievements…

MILLION DOLLAR BABYAnother point was that bullies need to be bullied. I just fell in love with the scene where Shawrelle was hitting Danger when Eddie came to defend him and knocked Shawelle down that his tooth fell out of his mouth.

I agree that the end of the movie is really dark and tragic. First, I am against suicide under any circumstances, but Maggie feeling suicidal seems to be natural to me. And it is what happens in real life. Remember Ronda Rousey’s interview with Ellen DeGeneres when she admitted feeling suicidal just after losing one match. But in the film Maggie almost lost her life and she was paralyzed.

MILLION DOLLAR BABYThis film was a really challenge for the cast and the stuff because they had so little time to film it. And Hilary Swank did such a great job working out only for 3 months and she rocked.
Most people thought that this movie was going to be just about some female version of “Rocky Balboa” (which it seems in the beginning), but this movie went beyond that and became one of the most unique films in the industry.

At the and I just want to say that “MILLION DOLLAR BABY” is one of the best films to motivate people. And remember that Maggie experienced in such a little time what she wouldn’t have in her entire life if she chose to live the simple life.

P.S: Tell me in the comments if you liked the review and suggest other sport movies you want me to review next!
   
   
    
    
    


Comments

Popular Posts